Groupie

Image
  The first time I heard this word was when Drake called someone a groupie in one of his songs, I did not check for the meaning until an influencer talked about it recently The google definitions are too extreme and derogatory but in the context of what I'm talking about a groupie can be someone who always wants to be with the "happening guys". After pondering about it for a couple of days I realized we might be and this mentee, mentor, networking, your association rave in Nigeria might have turned most of us to “groupies” in a way. The need to follow the latest popping person, enter their dms and introduce yourself, ask them to mentor you or to just be able to say I know them, bla bla bla   is turning some of us into something else I don’t have much to say but I pray we remember that as we appreciate the light in others, their talents and gifts, we'll never  lose sight of the light, talents and gifts we carry too. Appreciate them but focus on making your light

Tips to learn from my saving journey


Today we are talking about savings and God knows that I’m still a learner.

Quick Back Story
I used to save diligently when I was younger in bags, containers and with my mom(greatest mistake).
But I got frustrated because one particular sibling of mine was always stealing my savings, and some will borrow money from me and will not pay back. I can never forget when my elder sister borrowed 65 naira from me and refused to pay back (I mourned that money for days). It’s a laughing matter now but then I wasn’t smiling.  There was also a time I forgot 170 naira in my primary school and I walked back to school, it was more than a 30 minutes journey. All these occurrences made me discouraged and the discipline to save left me.

I got into the university and because I wanted to have so much savings, I would save amounts that made me lose weight because I wasn’t eating.  And also I always had issues with helping people out with money because I would do it at my own detriment at the end of the day my savings account might read negative.

This period I have taken a particular course that taught me how to handle my finances better and these are the lessons I’ve learnt:
1.Start small.
You can start with 10% of your income. It might look little today but remember it is the savings discipline cultivated that matters the most.

2. Use savings app to remain consistent.
If you are like me that can rush to buy something that seems really important and finds out later, it wasn't really worth it, you can use Piggy vest,Payday Investor by ARM, these apps are going to help you schedule and automatically remove your savings from your bank account and also lock it so you won’t be tempted to touch your savings.

3. Have a percentage of your estimated income that you can give out. 
Everybody needs this. You cannot help everybody, you are not Jesus Christ. Therefore, once the budget for giving finishes please close market because you have to build your wealth. Don’t eat your corn and your seed.

We save for several things such as investments, emergency funds, to buy essentials or to spend on a trip or whatever you like but in all, Financial Discipline is a must. I would be writing on investments next week and apps you can use so don’t miss it.

Leave a comment on your savings journey.
Thanks for reading this article. Stay blessed and have a wonderful day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you a wealthy youth?

Forgiveness