Groupie

Image
  The first time I heard this word was when Drake called someone a groupie in one of his songs, I did not check for the meaning until an influencer talked about it recently The google definitions are too extreme and derogatory but in the context of what I'm talking about a groupie can be someone who always wants to be with the "happening guys". After pondering about it for a couple of days I realized we might be and this mentee, mentor, networking, your association rave in Nigeria might have turned most of us to “groupies” in a way. The need to follow the latest popping person, enter their dms and introduce yourself, ask them to mentor you or to just be able to say I know them, bla bla bla   is turning some of us into something else I don’t have much to say but I pray we remember that as we appreciate the light in others, their talents and gifts, we'll never  lose sight of the light, talents and gifts we carry too. Appreciate them but focus on making your light

Choosing a course of study

Going to the university is such a big deal that we organize family meetings, go through university brochures trying to find the course that fits us most.

To be a lawyer, you must like arguing, engineer: you must be good in maths, theatre arts: you must have been in your school drama club, journalism: you must be a good speaker. All these are amazing but there are simple ways to know the course you must study but before I suggest the best ways to discover your course of study, let me share my experience.

In my head, I’ve always been jack of all trades so I wanted to be a doctor simply because I cleaned my injuries, economist because I found out I liked taking care of money, cosmetologist because it made everyone I told look at me with respect, engineer because I repaired the TV and an antenna once but to be serious technical drawing wearied my soul and physics made me sick  and then one day in ss2 after practising physics for hours without getting the answer. I thought to myself, I cant imagine myself doing this all the days of my life so I thought what do I even like and instantly I remembered that I had a very little garden in my house at age 11- 13 and I would sit there for hours watching and taking care of my water leaf and aloe vera, I felt the peace I always experienced in that place, it was a place of no worries. There and then I decided that I wanted to study agriculture. Funny right? My mum would have fasted on me if she knew that this was my reason.

I told my teacher, Mr Akpan and even though he was surprised, he supported me. I told my mom and she did not know how to convince me she would just say “don’t you think Agric is too narrow for you?” my dad was so happy, he said he had always wished one of his children would study agric. My parents trusted God for me so they didn’t try to force any course on me. my university does not have pure agriculture and remember I like money, I decided to study Agric economics.

People say your University degree is just for certificate sake, you drop it and follow your passion but I believe if you study the right course it can really equip you for your future ambitions.

1. Pray that God gives you wisdom and directs your path and I know he will. What would you do for free and still enjoy yourself?

2. Survey yourself, what are you best qualities? I love helping people improve their finances, and I am always trying to suggest one business idea or the other.

3. Go through university brochures and read on the several courses and find the one that would give the necessary training to achieve your goal.

4. Get a trusted Individual to advise you.
Talk with someone that is in the university and someone out of the university, people you look up to, share the qualities you’ve found in yourself and let them reason with you on what might suit you best. They should give objective advice, don’t ask your mum that really wants you to be a lawyer or doctor (it would not work).

I think business Administration would have been the best thing for me but I love Agric economics because it exposed me to the possibilities in agriculture.

Leave a comment on how you chose your course of study.
Thanks for reading. Stay blessed and have a wonderful week ahead

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you a wealthy youth?

Forgiveness